If you've been searching for the best impact driver, you probably already know that it delivers 3-4 times more torque than a cordless drill, and that it allows you to easily drive large lag bolts.
But many DIYers are surprised to discover how light-weight these tools are, and how converting the torque directly to the fastener greatly reduces operator fatigue and kick-back. Once you try them for heavy duty, repetitious jobs, you'll never reach for your cordless drill again.
To make your searching a little easier, I've compiled a list of the top-10 18V best impact drivers based upon power, speed, weight, run-time, and impact rate.
1) Makita BTD144 - Class leader for run-time. LXT Lithium-Ion batteries provide 35% longer time between charges. Class leader for impact rate. Delivers up to 3,400 IPM, about 10% higher than average.
2) Bosch 25618-01 - Generates up to 1,500 in-lbs of torque, about 5% higher than average. Runs up to 2,800 RPM, about 10% faster than average.
3) Bosch 25618-02 - Weighs 3.3 lbs , about 10% lighter than average. Higher than average impact rate, delivers up to 3,200 IPM.
4) Hitachi WH18DL - HXP Lithium- Ion batteries produce 36% longer than average time between charges. Hitachi has one of the best warranties: 10-year tool and 2-year battery.
5) Makita BTD140 - LXT Lithium- Ion batteries produce about 35% longer time between charges. Higher than average impact rate, delivers up to 3,200 IPM.
6) Bosch 23618 - Runs up to 2,800 RPM, about 10% faster than average. All-metal gears, aluminum housing, and externally accessed motor brushes.
7) Makita BTP140 - Unique hybrid 4 -function tool with impact, hammer, driver, and drill capabilities all-in-one. LXT Lithium-Ion batteries produce about 35% longer time between charges.
8) Makita BTD142HW - One of the highest power-to-weight ratios in its class. Motor brushes can be externally accessed, and Makita provides a 3-year warranty.
9) DeWalt DC827KL - Magnesium gearcase, all-metal transmission, accessible motor brushes, and DeWalt's 3-year warranty. High user satisfaction rating, 4.8 of 5 stars.
10) DeWalt DC825KA - NiCd batteries provide run-time that's about 10% longer than average. Rated 4.4 of 5 stars by satisfied users.
The best impact driver for you depends on your budget, but these top 10 drivers are a great place to start.